Is Natural Stone Good For Flooring?
September 1, 2021
From its durability to its neutral palette, there’s a lot to love about natural stone. So it’s no surprise that natural stone flooring has become one of the most lasting, statement-making home design trends of the 21st century.
Natural stone floors are notoriously attractive and versatile, from an aesthetics perspective. But beyond their beauty, natural stone is also an incredibly practical flooring option. Stone is far tougher than most other flooring options and can even increase your home’s value.
Benefits Of Stone Floors
Because natural stone provides such a perfect balance between form and function, many families opt for stone floor in their living rooms, kitchens, entryways, and bathrooms. The benefits of stone flooring throughout a home are manifold, including:
- Durability: With proper care, natural stone floors can hold up for decades
- Temperature regulation: Natural stone floors can help keep your home nice and cool in hot summer months. However, they can also hold onto heat in the winter, which makes them comfortable to walk on no matter the season.
- Luxury: Natural stone floors feel elegant and easily adapt for any trend. Much like beautiful hardwood floors, the aesthetic of stone will never go out of style.
- Easy Maintenance: Natural stone is among the easiest flooring materials to care for, maintain, and replace. Regular sweeping and mopping with a tile cleaner is all that’s needed to keep your floors looking great. And if scratching should occur, it’s remarkably easy to fill scratches or swap out broken tiles as needed.
Cons of Stone Floors
Like any material, there are of course a few potential downsides to look out for when considering natural stone floors. For example:
- Budget: While natural stone floors can increase home value and hold up well over time, they may be expensive to install.
- Time-consuming Installation: If you’re looking for a quick fix, natural stone may take longer than you’d prefer to install. Laying stone tiles out and finishing floors is a job that takes a while, even when experts are on the job.
Is Natural Stone Flooring Right For You?
As you can see, the list of pros for natural flooring far outweighs the cons. However, this doesn’t mean natural stone is automatically right for every home.
In general, natural stone floors are best for homeowners who are looking to make an investment in their home. They’re okay with paying for higher quality materials, not in a huge rush to have the project completed, and love the idea of flooring that can add to the luxurious feel and monetary value of their home over time.
Sound like you? We’re happy to help homeowners in WV, VA, MD, and the Washington D.C. area choose your perfect natural stone flooring!
Get in touch with us here to learn more about the process of planning, selecting, and installing natural stone floors in your home. We’ll see you soon!